Web-Based Professional Addictions Counseling Certificate – for professionals in the field currently certified by: CAARR
PACC100 ‐ Introduction and Overview – 8 Hours
- Overview of…
- Human behavior: theories of personality and human development; emotional states (e.g., dependency, resentment, guilt); theories of human needs and motivation; denial process.
- Family dynamics: recognition of family roles; modalities of treatment; communication issues; role-play.
- Treatment and recovery approaches: treatment and recovery modalities; (e.g., psychiatric, psychosocial, clinical); Alcoholics Anonymous (and other support groups); Aversion Therapy; medical modalities; behavioral modification, social models, drinking driver programs, etc.
PACC101 ‐ Physiology and Pharmacology – 21 Hours
- Tolerance, cross tolerance, and synergistic effects.
- Physiological differences between males and females.
- Disease model, including signs and symptoms, research, neurobiological, AMA definition and Jellinek’s work in this area.
- Drug Classifications/Schedules/Generic and Trade Names/Behavioral Effects.
PACC102 – Law and Ethics – 16 Hours
- Overview of…
- Confidentiality 42CFR II and HIPPA
- Legal and regulatory restrictions: federal confidentiality regulations; state regulations; potential hazards resulting from noncompliance with regulations; and state and federal agencies.
PACC103 – Personal and Professional Growth – 24 Hours
- Counselor burnout; signs and symptoms; early warning signs; unique needs of the recovering counselor; prevention techniques.
- Personal and professional growth: recognizing personal strengths, limitations and knowledge to promote professional growth; importance of stress management; relaxation techniques; leisure skills, exercise; proper nutrition; time management, etc.
- The recovering counselor: “two hats” and the limitations and liability. (Includes ethical situations.)
- Professional growth: ethics and professional conduct/standards; consultations, counselor support and performance; the skills of a successful helper; on-‐going education and training; translation of the code of ethics into professional behavior.
- Certification requirements: outline and review of the California Certification Board of Alcohol/Drug Counselors (CCBADC) career path. Review the State of California Counselor Regulations and code of conduct.
- Professional contacts and organizations.
PACC104 – Supervised Practicum – 45 Hours
- This course consists of a comprehensive review, online group and individual session role-‐playing, resume and job preparation and peer evaluation.
PACC105 – Clinically Supervised Externship – 255 Hours
- Clinical sites must be screened and pre-approved by ADCSI administrative staff prior to beginning externship module.